Self-defence mechanism
Once upon a time in 1991, me and my brother were returning home after school. I was about 10 years old and my brother 4 year old.
He used to always hold my hand and walk along with me (like a good boy!!) listening to whatever I had to blabber (such an angel he was; even now he is). I always wanted to look like a responsible sister who can handle any situations (Such adorable days those were…).
We then saw a man who was walking towards us from the opposite direction on the same footpath (we were told in our school that good children walk only on the footpath).
This man’s looks were intimidating. His head was shaven off, he had a heavy moustache (almost like Veerappan’s) and face full of acne. My mother always used to tell me that looks does not necessarily define a person’s attitude. So I sort of tried to look as brave as I could.
But my toddler brother did not feel the same I guess because his hand’s grip tightened. I understood that he was panicking. I wanted to console my brother, so I turned towards him and to my horror saw that his face looked as if he was going to be attacked by “fits”. (Then I realised it was time for me to panic, but I could not show it off in front of my kid brother, it was question of my reputation as a brave sister!!).
I made him sit on a bench nearby and tried to calm him down. Then after few seconds it looked like he had regained himself.
Then my brother spoke “oh look!!, that man is gone”.
I was like “which man??!” (I had almost forgotten about that intimidating man who had Veerappan’s moustache).
My brother continued “that scary "humpty dumpty" man with Veerappan’s moustache!!”
I said “Ok, but lets forget about him now. Tell me what had happened to you?? I was so worried!!”
he said calmly “akka (sister in kannada), nothing had happened to me, I made that face in order to save myself. What if he kidnaps me because I am good looking?? So if I made some faces he will never know I am good looking!!”…
Wah!! What a “brilliant” idea from a 4 year old toddler and we assume children are innocent. I never would have got this “excellent” brainwave anytime in my life!!
This incident is an “all time comedy” in my family and even today we laugh at it whenever we remember it…
He used to always hold my hand and walk along with me (like a good boy!!) listening to whatever I had to blabber (such an angel he was; even now he is). I always wanted to look like a responsible sister who can handle any situations (Such adorable days those were…).
We then saw a man who was walking towards us from the opposite direction on the same footpath (we were told in our school that good children walk only on the footpath).
This man’s looks were intimidating. His head was shaven off, he had a heavy moustache (almost like Veerappan’s) and face full of acne. My mother always used to tell me that looks does not necessarily define a person’s attitude. So I sort of tried to look as brave as I could.
But my toddler brother did not feel the same I guess because his hand’s grip tightened. I understood that he was panicking. I wanted to console my brother, so I turned towards him and to my horror saw that his face looked as if he was going to be attacked by “fits”. (Then I realised it was time for me to panic, but I could not show it off in front of my kid brother, it was question of my reputation as a brave sister!!).
I made him sit on a bench nearby and tried to calm him down. Then after few seconds it looked like he had regained himself.
Then my brother spoke “oh look!!, that man is gone”.
I was like “which man??!” (I had almost forgotten about that intimidating man who had Veerappan’s moustache).
My brother continued “that scary "humpty dumpty" man with Veerappan’s moustache!!”
I said “Ok, but lets forget about him now. Tell me what had happened to you?? I was so worried!!”
he said calmly “akka (sister in kannada), nothing had happened to me, I made that face in order to save myself. What if he kidnaps me because I am good looking?? So if I made some faces he will never know I am good looking!!”…
Wah!! What a “brilliant” idea from a 4 year old toddler and we assume children are innocent. I never would have got this “excellent” brainwave anytime in my life!!
This incident is an “all time comedy” in my family and even today we laugh at it whenever we remember it…
children of that age have a really creative intelligence!Nice wtite up.
ReplyDeleteI just wonder a cute boy of 4 years had such a brilliant idea! Nice narration Bhavana.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Ananth
Thanks for reading Krishna Murthy..
ReplyDeleteRegards..
Thanks Ananthraj, trust me or not, I was more shocked than surprised when I heard what he said..
ReplyDeleteI could not believe he could think like that.. :)