Valentine's day??!!

That’s what most of our Hindu conservative Indians ask to those who are fortunate enough to celebrate February 14th with their loved ones.
The usual question is “Does Indian society needs Valentine culture??? If yes.. whyy???”
--I say “why not”???
To such people my questions are as follows:
1) Please define Valentine's day “Culture”.
2) Why don’t I hear any Indian >woman< asking this question, why are only men bothered about this.
3) Lastly please define Indian society.
The so called Valentine day culture is only a >mild< copy of what India had in the 6th century AD... -Kama sutra. We were far more advanced than this.

In India, in the antiquity, there was a tradition of adoring Kamadev, the lord of love; exemplificated by the erotic carvings in the Khajuraho Group of Monuments and by the writing of the Kama sutra treaty of lovemaking. This tradition was lost around the Middle Ages, when Kamadev was no longer celebrated, and public displays of sexual affections became frowned upon.
I would also like to inform those who are worried about Indian culture that, Indian society does not consists only of Hindus, it has Muslims, Christians, Jains, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Sikhs etc and etc. Indian culture is not necessarily is a Hindu culture. We are secular nation. India was built as a country based on the secular notion and not on religious based prejudices.
So let’s try to be as broad minded as possible. No one has any rights to question any individual’s personal and love life.
Happy Valentine's day!
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadeva
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kamadeva1.jpg)
Good thought provoking post..Yes "Love"exists and existed everywhere;but when it is constricted and celebrated on a day,some people have some problem with it.(You know whom I am pointing at).Anyways ,I have a post on similar lines in my blog too.
ReplyDeleteWWW.raji1082.blogspot.com
Indian culture is not necessarily is a Hindu culture. We are secular nation...:)
ReplyDelete...preeti torisuva dinavannu select madikondu..alli sittu yaake...madkolteeri....ha..ha....dont mistake me, just tamashe maadide aste...!
ananth
ಪ್ರೀತಿಯನ್ನು ತಡೆಯಲು ಯಾರಿಂದಲೂ ಸಾಧ್ಯವಿಲ್ಲ. ಜಗತ್ತಿನ ಎಲ್ಲ ದೇಶಗಳಲ್ಲೂ, ಸಂಸ್ಕೃತಿಗಳಲ್ಲೂ ಇದು ಇದ್ದೇ ಇದೆ. ನೀವು ಹೇಳಿದಂತೆ ಈ ವಿಷಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಭಾರತೀಯ ಸಂಸ್ಕೃತಿ ಅಥವಾ ಹಿಂದೂ ಸಂಸ್ಕೃತಿಯೆಂಬ ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆಯೇ ಇಲ್ಲ. ಸಂಸ್ಕೃತಿಯೆಂಬುದು ನಿಂತ ನೀರಲ್ಲ.
ReplyDeleteಎಲ್ಲ ಪ್ರೇಮಿಗಳಿಗೂ ಪ್ರೇಮದ ಅತಿ ಸುಂದರ ಕ್ಷಣಗಳು ನಿಮ್ಮದಾಗಲೆಂದು ಹಾರೈಸುತ್ತಾ, ಶುಭಾಶಯಗಳು.
ReplyDeleteಪ್ರೀತಿಯೇ ಬದುಕು, ಉಸಿರು. ಒಳ್ಳೆ ಬರಹ ಭಾವನಾ ಅವರೇ.
ReplyDeleteನನ್ನ ಬ್ಲಾಗಿಗೂ ಬನ್ನಿ...
www.badari-poems.blogspot.com
www.badari-notes.blogspot.com
facebook profile: Badarinath Palavalli
very thought provoking and I think their is nothing bad about celebrating love.
ReplyDelete@ Raji, surely I will visit your blog, thanks for your feedbacks..
ReplyDelete@ Anantha, haha kopa illa :)
@ Mahesh, dhanyavaadagaLu :)
Badriji, thanks. of course I will visit :)
ReplyDeletePratibha, Thanks :)..