Train journey, Part 1

11-Sep-2011

I was travelling back to Prague to continue my course Further Study and I boarded my train. I went into a compartment which was almost full. The train compartment was occupied by an old couple who were travelling together, another old man (who got down middle way to Prague), a young man and a women (this woman was really silent all the way)- all three travelling alone.

So I took my seat and started to read Sidney Sheldon's "Blood line".
All of us, except for the old couple were silent and immersed in our own world.

The old couple started to speak in a very strange language and I was wondering whether it was Russian because I recognize Czech, Slovak, German/Austrian and French. I was wondering..
The old lady was constantly looking at me and I wondered why?

We were nearing Prague's outer station and the old couple started to have a conversation with that young man who apparently is a Czech and an ex-employee of a ship crew and have traveled more than 90 countries.
Later I came to know from their conversation that this old couple were travelling on the same ship where this young Czech man was was working as a crew and it apparently were his last days as an employee.

The conversation continued and the the couple were asking many questions to this young man like "what he thinks of German way of working?", "Which country has the most hard working people in Europe?".
This couple were travelling across Europe and at that moment were visiting Prague.

My enthusiasm about this couple increased and I started to wonder whether they were "Germans" instead of my initial guess of "Russians"?. This is because this couple were asking that Czech man as if they >were< certain that Germans are the most hardworking people across Europe (Europeans usually are very proud of their country and think their country is the best!!).
So I wondered whether the couple were "interrogating" this young Czech about what he thinks about German ways.. (I assumed that this couple were Germans and wanted to know what Czechs these days think about them. After all, Germans were ruling Czech Republic during Hitler's time for few years and Czech Republic was under Austria-Hungarian empire for a long time. Austrian and German languages are similar or almost similar but they do not agree. Germans say they are the best people and Austrians consider themselves better Germans!!- confusing for Indians isn't it?). :-p

To this old couple's disappointment, this young Czech thought that Swiss people are very hardworking people among Europeans, I could see the disappointment in them (old couple) and my assumption that the couple were Germans got stronger, but I was not sure...

The main Prague station was about to arrive, I took my belongings and stood outside the compartment and the old lady started to speak to me. So I took the opportunity and asked her whether they are Germans?
But she said "No, no, we are Israelis and my husband loves European history". I was a bit disappointed that I could not guess properly...

Then she asked me where I am from and I told her that I am from India and settled in Czech Republic.
She then told me "I saw you read that book (Sidney Sheldon) so fast.." and then told me that "Indians are very kind people..". 

All of us got down at the Prague main station and went on our own ways (me satisfied)....

Comments

  1. thanks Guru. :-) I did some editing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2) Brief introduction of my blog on Udayavaani:
    My blog was briefly introduced on a very famous kannada online News paper Udayavaani and I did not even know about this introduction until one of my fellow bloggers pointed it out to me :-)
    Its a very brief introduction but I am honoured. Again thanks to Srivatsa Joshi and Ashok, editor of Udayavaani.
    ಭಾವನಾ ಅವರ ಗಮನಕ್ಕೆ
    ಅಶೋಕ್ ಅವರು ಉದಯವಾಣಿಯ ಸಂಪಾದಕರಲ್ಲ. ಯಾವತ್ತೂ ಆಗಿರಲಿಲ್ಲ. ಅವರು ಕೇವಲ ಅಂಕಣಕಾರರು ಅಷ್ಟೇ......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Mr or Miss Anonymous whoever you are!

    But I do not see reporter as a "just".
    I am suprised to see class issues even existing in India! Shame!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle to map her own world

Birthday cravings

A rare incident with picture of Vyjayanthimala