No generalization, silly!!
I am not generalizing here, but I personally feel and have experienced that >most< European men are gentlemen than Indian men.
They make way for me, they open the door for me. On streets, men in cars stop when I am crossing the road for me to pass.
These are very small things but still make such huge impact on human relations and our perception on other species .
In India, most men in higher positions treat women like >things to be discarded< kind. (I wonder how these men behave in their personal lives) These kind of men have no respect for an individual. Even now Indian men treat women as an "item".
I feel very bad to be pointing out this that I have met a very few Indian men who are decent and gentlemanly! Most Indian men I have met are Chauvinistic in their ways!
This unfortunately or fortunately do not get along with my nature since I am highly individualistic person. I do not know whether it is my bad luck that I have met more Chauvinistic Indian men than gentlemanly or their good luck :-)
This should be a shock in a country where male population is getting higher than women and these are the same men who are taught "family values" and "great morals" by their parents!
Wondering why I am writing about Indian men all of a sudden? Well, this is because, I have been treated like a lady in Europe by most men.
There is a saying "idle mind is devil's workshop" this seems to be suiting me now since I have lots of time here in Holland to think about the world, men, women and compare the culture I come from and the culture I am living in.
When I do this, I obviously feel frustrated that I come from a culture which calls itself "very cultured" but behaves otherwise :-)
Paradox, paradox and paradox Indian society :-)
But we Indians do not even notice it :-) that's one more specialty of our sweet "cultured" society!
They make way for me, they open the door for me. On streets, men in cars stop when I am crossing the road for me to pass.
These are very small things but still make such huge impact on human relations and our perception on other species .
In India, most men in higher positions treat women like >things to be discarded< kind. (I wonder how these men behave in their personal lives) These kind of men have no respect for an individual. Even now Indian men treat women as an "item".
I feel very bad to be pointing out this that I have met a very few Indian men who are decent and gentlemanly! Most Indian men I have met are Chauvinistic in their ways!
This unfortunately or fortunately do not get along with my nature since I am highly individualistic person. I do not know whether it is my bad luck that I have met more Chauvinistic Indian men than gentlemanly or their good luck :-)
This should be a shock in a country where male population is getting higher than women and these are the same men who are taught "family values" and "great morals" by their parents!
Wondering why I am writing about Indian men all of a sudden? Well, this is because, I have been treated like a lady in Europe by most men.
There is a saying "idle mind is devil's workshop" this seems to be suiting me now since I have lots of time here in Holland to think about the world, men, women and compare the culture I come from and the culture I am living in.
When I do this, I obviously feel frustrated that I come from a culture which calls itself "very cultured" but behaves otherwise :-)
Paradox, paradox and paradox Indian society :-)
But we Indians do not even notice it :-) that's one more specialty of our sweet "cultured" society!
Totally agree with your view-point. I have said the same thing many a times.
ReplyDeleteHave never been to Europe but have seen enough "firang" guys doing that in my office and even on the roads of Bangalore(lots of expats stay in my area). Courtesy/manners on road to complete strangers is really appreciable.
But gauging chauvinism by this may be just akin to a recent survey that terms Indians as rude coz we don't say "Thank you" as often as Europeans or Westerners in general.
Boasting about our culture is a favorite Indian pastime. In fact, it is our national pastime! Our Civic sense being the worst and complete disregard for women folk is a trivial, non-issue there. In fact, we are the women-worshiping :roll-eyes: culture, aren't we?
yeah exactly. I cant even roll my eyes, since my contact lenses fall off. I wish I could though, :-p
ReplyDeleteyeah? there are lots expats is it?
Here complete strangers say hello to me :-)
Thanks Sapna :-)