At the airport
16-mar-2012
I reached the Schiphol airport rather early after finishing formalities of handling over the keys of the home I had rented in Holland. The lady from the housing consultancy had arrived 10 minutes earlier than I had expected (for which she apologized).
We finished the formalities within 10 minutes and the Taxi had arrived at the door at 10:35 am. I said “good bye” to the lady housing consultant and got into the taxi to reach the train station in Dordrecht city of Holland.
I had planned to board 11-54 am train (the direct train from Dordrecht to Schiphol runs once in an hour) but since the formalities of handing over keys had finished rather early, I took 10:54 am train and within one hour, I was in Schiphol airport (yes, just 1 hour, trains here in Holland are rather fast and even the local trains travel at a speed of 126 kilometers per hour).
So I finished all the formalities of “checking in” and “security checks” rather fast. "Security check" is something which I am really annoyed about. We the responsible citizens should stand like “accused” in a queue, remove our jackets, belts (thank goodness nothing else), watches and laptops as if we are planning to sabotage the flight. But what I have rather observed and experienced is once we finish this “security check” we feel like successful warriors getting out of the war fields with triumph. I have observed this >triumph looks< in many people standing before and after me. Poor us!
Anyway once this was done, my head was rather aching and I decided to have an espresso. But instead I found other coffees such as “cappucino” or “latter” which I am not very fond of, So I decided upon buying strong chocolate.
I went to the counter and asked for “hot strong choclate”. The lady in the counter asked me what toppings I would prefer. I directly said “OK, let me have some nuts it as toppings”. This lady became confused and said there is no such topping (then why the heck they should ask what I need, instead of directly providing us with the damned options, eh?), So I asked “ what options does this drink have as toppings?” she promptly said “caramel sauce” or “whipped cream”. I hate whipped cream so decided on “caramel sauce”. (Caramel sauce on chocolate drink sounds funny isnt it?). Then she asked what size I prefer. I said “Medium”..
Next question of hers surprised me. She asked whats my name. (what the hell?? I just finished “security check”). I sweetly said “Bhavana”. She then shouted across the counter “one hot strong chocolate with caramel sauce on top for Miss.Bh'avna”. (I was like "????")
Then I paid the bill and got the cup of hot chocolate. When I took a look at the cup, it looked scary. I had ordered for “Medium” cup. This cup looked like the cups which suits demons such as “Bakasura”.
I took the cup and searched for a place to sit. I then saw an empty seat opposite to which a young man was sitting and sipping something with his Samsung Laptop switched on. He looked like Spanish or an Italian (cough cough). I "politely" asked him whether I can take that empty seat. He said “of course”.
Then I started to drink the mug (yuck, it was too sweet) and to read the book I had brought.
Then this man started a conversation with me. He asked where I am from and I promptly said “I am from India, but living in Czech Republic”.
He looked confused and asked me again “again, where do you "leeve" (this was his accent)?”. I said “Czech Republic”. Then I realized some west Europeans are not aware of new European member countries which were added to Europe's cap in 2004 and 2008. I said “have you heard of Czechoslovakia?”. He said “yes yes”. This “Czechoslovakia” was divided into “Czech Republic and Slovak Republic" and I am living in “Czech Republic”.
He said “yes yes, I know" and then continued "It is just that I did not get the name since we pronounce it differently". Then he said “I am from Germany”.
Then we talked about what we do and so on. Then he asked “India should have lots of cultural schools, no?”. I literally was about to fall off from my seat. (cultural schools?).
He said “yes yes, I know" and then continued "It is just that I did not get the name since we pronounce it differently". Then he said “I am from Germany”.
Then we talked about what we do and so on. Then he asked “India should have lots of cultural schools, no?”. I literally was about to fall off from my seat. (cultural schools?).
I have heard several weird questions from foreigners about India, but this one was ultimate. I said promptly “These days, Indians do not have time for cultural stuffs. They do not even care for their own languages. They only want to have a job and to live their lives”. This man was really amused with this new information.
I did not prefer to further continue my lecture about Indians and the “Indian culture” to this man since my head was already thumping. So I excused myself of shopping and left him.
In international airport such as Schiphol, we can find lots of strange and variety of people.
Oh! I saw a plumpy KLM air hostess, as plump as I am :-p
Oh! I saw a plumpy KLM air hostess, as plump as I am :-p
This sight made my rest of the day :-p
Lovely writing Bhavana. I like reading real life experiences, how people, countries are perceived . . .Keep writing.
ReplyDeleteThanks Radhika. I too love to read real life experiences. :-)
Deletehaha Cultural schools. We don't have them but need of the hour I guess. Thanks to the German guy for the idea :P
ReplyDeleteP.S: Thanks for the KLM plump air hostess bit of info. I feel good knowing that:D
hahaha, yeah, I was really surprised with that question..
DeleteOh please, you are not plump but just right..