Rest and Relaxation
When people talk about rest and relaxation, one thing which comes on anyone's mind is "meditation".
I grew up in the bustling city of Bangalore, getting along with stress, polution, noise, bad roads and not to forget expectations from myself and others. This is the case of anyone who lives in a city, you might think, and i say, thats very true.. Here I am talking about all of us out there for who these situations are very familiar to.
When i used to think about resting, most of the time, my mind goes blank. This is because i think i had not understood what relaxation meant for me. This might be the situation for most of us who work in cities of India. Why i am talking about India here is, i am about to compare the situation here in Czech Republic/ Europe to India.
Here in Western world, when we say we are from India, they think of below things
- Vegeterian food and hence healthy food.
- Yoga
- Buddhism.
- Himalaya and Mount everest
- Taj Mahal.
- Mediation
But i will be talking about the last point. They think people from India are always relaxed, patient minded people. This is very true, we are. When I take a look at people in bustling cities and this includes IT industry's takeover and other problems related to this( i mean compitition to IT people), the concept of Indians are relaxed and patient people makes me smile a bit. This is because I know I am a Indian, from a city and I know that i cannot rest at all most of the time. One of our friends here in Czech republic asked me how i am feeling here in Czech republic, I said i am resting a lot here than in India and that person was really surprised. She said "i thought you are very good in relaxing and resting, because you are from India!!!". That is a point isnt it..:-) .
Right now I am thinking( you bet I am really:-)). Thinking very hard about what will make me feel good. Because I understood that unless you are happy, you will never relax because somewhere you know you are missing something, so our minds will not stop running to get what we want.
I read a lot while travelling, on internet, novels. But still it is not the one which relaxes me. I after sometime understood this. This does not mean i have stopped reading. I read now too. I felt i needed some work out. So started going for aerobics. This really really relaxes me. Let me be very frank, i m not interested in cooking, so i dont much enjoy my time when cooking. 1 week ago i was badly stressed out of work due to long working hours. So i had to take a day's off and then I was alone at home, realising that i am not in the right mind and every minute is flying fast, i tried reading a novel, watching television, surfing net. No nothing helped, believe me. So I thought of playing hindustani classical music. I turned on MP3 player. The music vibes coming out of it had an amazing effect on me. I was overwhelmingly feeling happy, feeling like i was in India. So i made myself masala tea and enjoyed the music. After this i played old Kannada film songs and i was feeling out of world, seriously. I was completely exilarated when i started singing " bhavageetegaLu" of Mysore AnathaSwamy. I could not believe i had the tune still in place.
So the next day i was normal and was very happy as i had decided i will be practising songs once or twice a day in a week.So whenever i am really tired mentally, i just start singing.
I accept I am not still able to relax like that, as default relaxing method for me. I need to make it a habit. .
So the cure for restlessness is getting rest in your own way, which will make you feel unique and special!!!
Cheers..
Hi Bhavana,
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful, you have started a blog. The topic you have selected is very near to what am thinking. Because of job workload, back home worries and other XYZ things its like a whirlpool. My way of relaxing is Cooking and enjoying it. But after few days I start worrying how to lose the calories thats other story. I except you will continue the blog with other interesting topics. Good luck and good night.
Thanks Murali..:))
ReplyDeleteHi bhavana, its nice to see your blogs.. a writer within :-). Things are viewed differently by different people because of their own small world in which they are living. the bigger picture is too far to guess anything...!! I like writing too..! but hardly find time to put in some quality stuff there.. anyway, you can have a look at - www.life-serenity.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteCheers
Prem
bhavana i seriously recommend you to shift to wordpress.it is better place to blog
ReplyDelete