Chauka Bara- A board game from Mysore region

There are several reasons for me to love Mysore,
1) being my native is/was in Srirangapatna, a village in it which is now submerged in Kaveri waters called "Gibikote".
2) Mysore Dasara celebrations
3) Mysore is the cultural capital of Karnataka and many others.

I would love to introduce you to a Mysorean board game called "Chauka Bara". This is primarily a game of chance, but involves thinking and planning. It also helps in developing counting skills. It is an interesting and fun way to develop strategy skills.

The rules for this board game can be found in here http://kreedaakaushalya.blogspot.com/2008/05/chauka-bara.html

We got a chance to introduce this wonderful game in Czech Republic among our friends in a restaurant which was previously a wine celler. I would love to share some of the pictures






Kiran Explaining the rules











At the end of the day I was really proud of myself and Kiran and we decided to keep such lovely evenings again and again with our Czech friends :)

Comments

  1. Honestly I had lost touch of this game which we used to play nearly 5 decades ago. Thank you, your blog helped me to recall and successfully played with my mother. She is bedridden with sickness and loves to play this game. I am in trouble now !! She says there is another version of it with more no. of squares/boxes and played with 6 kavades instead of 4. Wd u b able to help me to draw such one !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently had a great opportunity to visit an exhibition of ancient Indian board games in mysore. Really surprised to see how many of them were alien to me, and also had fun remembering the days of chowka bhara and alaguli mane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle to map her own world

Birthday cravings

Teenage Heartache? Or was it?? Part 2