Holland trip, Part 2
Find Part 1 here
I went through the menu and was "thrilled" to see “Indian curry with Basmati rice” and guess what? I ordered it!!
Never in my life had I eaten such disgusting curry! I gulped however much I could, paid up hurriedly (it was maddening 15 Euros!!) and ran to my room hoping against hope that I would not puke on the way. After reaching my room, I had two glasses of water and felt as if I was reborn and fortunately, I slept within minutes.
Part 2:
…. So I reached my "four star hotel" at last and I was starving. I had a “clever” guess that the costs of the food in four star's in-house restaurant are maddeningly high. I had previously stayed in two “four star hotels” before, one in Bratislava and one in Prague . In both places, I used to either visit inexpensive restaurants for dinner or I used to buy bread and fruits in a nearby super market.
So, I browsed through the net in a hope to find a restaurant which might serve decent meal with inexpensive price. But I was disappointed!
This "four star hotel" is cleverly situated next to the River Maas, I say >cleverly< because there is nothing you can find next to this hotel apart from river Maas and ferries on them and loads of bicycles next to this hotel.
It looks like this "four star hotel" wants to make sure that they get their guests to eat in their in-house expensive restaurant. There seems to be no freaking competition for them at all!!
So accepting the defeat of not finding decent and inexpensive restaurant nearby, I went to this four star hotel’s in-house restaurant which was smelling full of sea food (what else can I expect in a country surrounded by sea??)
I went through the menu and was "thrilled" to see “Indian curry with Basmati rice” and guess what? I ordered it!!
Never in my life had I eaten such disgusting curry! I gulped however much I could, paid up hurriedly (it was maddening 15 Euros!!) and ran to my room hoping against hope that I would not puke on the way. After reaching my room, I had two glasses of water and felt as if I was reborn and fortunately, I slept within minutes.
The coming week went quite fast and people in my client’s office are really good natured and called me for lunch everyday. The lunch in the canteen is a sober affair and there is nothing which is served hot except for soups. Apart from soups all we can get is cold salads (healthy!!), breads, yogurts, butter and cheese (appetizing, isn't it??).
In Czech, people need hot food for lunch and they usually have bread for dinner. So I asked these "unfortunate" colleagues here in Holland as to what makes them to get along with this kind of “cold” lunch?
They simply said “We can order hot food, but it will take ages for the kitchen to cook them and we might waste our time. So we eat whatever we get for lunch here and prepare hot and healthy dinner at home”.
(Fair enough!)
.. to be continued!
.. to be continued!
nice writing, pl visit my blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks, will visit :-)
ReplyDeleteI guess the canteens are the same everywhere :)
ReplyDelete